My oldest daughter is now of an age where she asks me questions about my life as a young child. I remember a bit, of course, not as much as I would like. What does amaze me is how strong some names and faces remain, decades later.
It's easy to tell my children stories of my parents, brother or cousins as those are people I know I'm expected to remember. I'm sure I'll tell some of their stories here, too.
I want this blog to be about the people in my life who probably didn't expect to be remembered, or might be surprised to know why they're remembered.
I used to volunteer in a centre that had a poster on the wall with the following quote:
One Hundred Years from now (excerpt from "Within My Power" by Forest Witcraft)
One Hundred Years from now
It will not matter
what kind of car I drove,
What kind of house I lived in,
how much money was in my bank account
nor what my clothes looked like.
But the world may be a better place because
I was important in the life of a child.
This blog is for those people who were important in my life as a child. I'm writing to give them their claim to immortality. It hasn't quite been a hundred years yet - heck, I'm not much past 40 - but I still want to acknowledge their influence on my life.
Thank you.
It's easy to tell my children stories of my parents, brother or cousins as those are people I know I'm expected to remember. I'm sure I'll tell some of their stories here, too.
I want this blog to be about the people in my life who probably didn't expect to be remembered, or might be surprised to know why they're remembered.
I used to volunteer in a centre that had a poster on the wall with the following quote:
One Hundred Years from now (excerpt from "Within My Power" by Forest Witcraft)
One Hundred Years from now
It will not matter
what kind of car I drove,
What kind of house I lived in,
how much money was in my bank account
nor what my clothes looked like.
But the world may be a better place because
I was important in the life of a child.
This blog is for those people who were important in my life as a child. I'm writing to give them their claim to immortality. It hasn't quite been a hundred years yet - heck, I'm not much past 40 - but I still want to acknowledge their influence on my life.
Thank you.
No comments:
Post a Comment